Tuesday, July 28, 2009

So I Had a Bad Day

Ran the dish yesterday in 35 minutes, back of the pack. Definitely an off day, so let's review.

Nutrition - coworkers took me out for a farewell lunch at PF Chang's, exactly the wrong food for running.

Conditioning - Using the "I'm recovering from a marathon" excuse only works for two weeks. After that I'm just being lazy, even if I am wearing my marathon shirt. I felt like I had too much untapped glycogen in my legs, more energy stores than muscle, definitely not that "running lean" feeling I want.

State of mind - oscillating between self-doubt and who gives a f---.

Stride - off balance. I usually have a mantra. This time, no mantra.

End result - I kept moving until I got there, but it wasn't the relaxing zen feeling I look for in a run. I need to up my weekly mileage. I also need to fix my reward system. Just because I like peanut butter ice cream doesn't mean I can eat it for no reason. I have to work for it or it throws off my motivation. So today I spent an hour at the gym and rewarded myself with some chocolate milk. If I'm good then maybe this weekend I can run 16 miles and have some peanut butter ice cream.

No comments: