Saturday, August 1, 2009

Burning Calves

There I was on my mountain bike atop Skyline Ridge Trail, the San Francisco skyline ahead of me, the bay to my right, the ocean to my left, hawks flying above and below. All in the name of cross-training. It's good to have a reason to do this. My calves and ankles were feeling pretty beat up from the running lately, and nothing stretches them out like a good bike ride. Except at the end, flying down the hill towards the parking lot, feet at 3 and 6 o'clock, bobbing and weaving over the bumps and jumps, my calves absolutely on fire the whole way down.

Pain for gain and a with little rest I'll be stronger for it. This is what it takes to run a marathon. Six days a week, an hour of intensity most days, hill repeats, tempo runs, mountain biking, and a two hour run every weekend. That has to be the base.

No comments: