Saturday, November 28, 2009

Neurons are Accelerometers

I swing my arms with each step. The centrifugal force fills the capillaries in my hands, causing pressure on nerve endings which I feel as a pleasant wooshing sensation. I can tell when they are moving straight up and down, front to back, contributing ever so slightly to my overall forward motion. I can also feel when they swing wide, sapping a measure of momentum with pendulous regularity. This is one of many frictions and forces conspiring to slow me down, a complex web of muscle strain vs elasticity, bounce vs inertia, laws of physics vs state of mind.

I found my gear-check bag from the San Jose half marathon and inside was a shirt. I wore this shirt, ran 13.1 miles, stuffed it in a gear bag, and gave it no further thought. That was almost two months ago. The shirt still had my number pinned to it. It had not been washed.

Think I'll go for a run now.

No comments: