Saturday, September 13, 2008

Love. Live Intensely. Enjoy Life.

Travis lived an extraordinary life. That much is clear. I think we all take to heart a little piece of advice given at the service this afternoon, because this morning Travis' run buddies shared as much fun and adventure and friendship as we could get in today, which as it turns out is a whole lot.

And I'm a-gonna blog about it.

What a run! I love Portola Valley trails. So many hills, and I was feeling pretty good. A few trees had fallen across the trail. That and the rope bridge gave it a real Indiana Jones kind of feel. Next time I run Toyon Trail I may try that rope swing. This run starts with a nice long flat stretch, then suddenly runners find themselves facing an almost staircase-steep hill, marked with an arrow pointing up and a smiley face. Although I didn't run the flat part or see the smiley face hill I sure heard people talking about it. What a friendly welcome to marathon training.

I didn't see the smiley face because I marked the upper trails, starting at the water stop and doing a few loops to mark and sweep. It was my first "solo" trail marking and I think I got the hang of it. It takes a bit of planning and strategy to mark five different routes on a network of trails! Teamwork! It's a beautiful thing. I think next time I can take on an area even a bit larger.

Everyone who spoke at the remembrance this afternoon reminded me why people do so much for LLS, and that some people are so passionate about it and live so intensely and achieve so much. Though I can never match their efforts, whatever little I can help seems easy by comparison, like 85% of what I do is just showing up.

Where I can live with more intensity I will do so knowing the rewards. I'll have to occasionally remind myself to enjoy life just a bit more, ask myself if there's more I can share, and and incidentally can I do it today. That's some good advice.

Here's hoping you're loved by everyone you want to love you.

No comments: