Monday, October 13, 2008

Setting The Next Goal

My goal for next Sunday is to run my slowest half marathon ever. In fact, if I finish in less than 2:05 I'm going to be disappointed. It won't be easy, but I think I can do it. A 9:30 pace? A full minute and a half per mile slower than last weekend? Aim high. Reach for the stars.

A PR, an anti-PR, and another PR would cap off a great fall run series. Besides that there is the training factor. Next Sunday's half marathon is sandwiched between two long runs so I need to take it easy and give my body a chance to recover. Make it a rest weekend. While I haven't found as much time for training as I had hoped, it turns out my baseline is pretty good. Credit my typical 12 mile Saturday run consistently for the past year or so. I surprised myself with my 1:45 PR in San Jose. I should be able to do a sub-4 hour marathon in San Antonio. So next weekend it is imperative I relax and not push hard. I have nothing more to prove. Nothing more to prove? Where's the fun in that? I have to prove I can hold back my pace. A social run. Conversation pace. You can do it!

No comments: