Saturday, August 16, 2008

Running with a Purpose

This morning was my very first course marking run and it's a different kind of workout, like intervals where I'm constantly running to the next corner, stopping, and drawing arrows every few hundred meters (with the occasional exploratory detour to check my bearings against the map). It doesn't hurt to have a compass on the wrist, either. This was an 8 mile out-and-back in the Mountain View Baylands which means only 4 miles of marking. On the way back I ran a relaxed, steady cadence which soon became a conversation pace. Coach Dan gave lots of great advice to a new runner. I may have to try that run/walk thing myself.

For this first one I had a nice, easy course to mark and I didn't do it alone, but now I feel confident I can take on something more challenging. I'll mark a course through those twisty Portola Valley trails before this is all done.

Go Team!

No comments: